Ever since we got rid of our network TV and all those extra cable channels, I’ll have to say that I don’t miss it one bit. I can get all my news on public radio and the internet. We now have cable for the internet and Apple TV. I don’t miss the commercials and the wasted time spent watching dumb sit-coms and those shows and movies you just happen to land on and end up watching the entire thing.
I’ve come to like the series; multiple, commercial-free episodes. The Brits and Swedes do it really well, especially their murder mysteries and casting of real characters who actually fit the part. They don’t pair a 20-something beautiful woman with a seasoned, well known actor just to bump up the ratings. I find myself watching one episode after another, and looking at my partner for the same craving to just watch one more. Once all of the seasons have been seen, I feel like I need to find another series.
Some of my favorite series are:
- The Killing – Follows the police investigation of the murder of a young girl, tying together three interlocking stories as investigators chase a variety of leads. View the trailer
- Homeland – Marine Sergeant Nicholas Brody returns home eight years after going missing in Iraq. Carrie Mathison, a driven CIA officer, suspects he might be plotting an attack on America. View on MDB
- Wallander (Swedish original, British version trailer Starring Kenneth Branagh)
- Annika Benktson: Crime Reporter – Annika Benktson is a very motivated crime reporter, even putting herself in danger to get the best story. View on MDB
- Breaking Bad – Informed he has terminal cancer, an underachieving chemistry genius turned high school teacher uses his expertise to secretly provide for his family by producing the world’s highest quality crystal meth. View trailer
- Foyle’s War – As World War II rages around the world, a police inspector fights his own war on the home-front in investigating murder, robbery, and espionage on the south coast of England. View on MDB
- Luther – “Luther” follows the cases of a troubled yet brilliant English police detective, DCI John Luther (Idris Elba). Luther is a highly charged emotional man who is not above stretching the law to solve a case or save a life. View the trailer